How Community Investment Translates to Safer Communities
The founders of YEAH, youth members of the program, and Philadelphia politicians
will engage in a dialogue to address current social issues
About this Event
- PA State Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta
- Philadelphia City Council Member Jamie Gauthier
- Kendra Van de Water and James Aye from YEAH Philly
- Youth members of YEAH
Moderator: Juwan Bennett, PhD candidate
In 2018, Kendra Van de Water and James Aye founded Youth Empowerment for Advancement Hangout (YEAH), a nonprofit with a mission to disrupt the cycle of youth community violence in West and Southwest Philadelphia neighborhoods. With all voices at the table, this session brings together young people, advocates, and politicians to examine some of the most pressing issues facing Philadelphia youth and explore solutions for change. The founders of YEAH, youth members of the program, and Philadelphia politicians will engage in a dialogue to:
- Discuss YEAH programs and strategies for teens and young adults addressing gun violence and mental health.
- Examine social determinants of health, including the provision of basic needs such as access to affordable and nutritious food, clothing, vital documents, and safe and adequate housing.
- Explore the structural determinants of health: policies, laws, and practice; funding and budgets; and access and services.
- Demonstrate the power of youth leadership and advocacy.
Registration link : https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-community-investment-translates-to-safer-communities-tickets-149938003605?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch